Dangers of DEET
The chemical DEET is in a number of insect repellents on the market. DEET is a registered pesticide. It is a member of the toulene chemical family, which is used in paint removers, and solvents used in rubber and plastic cements.
Research indicates that heavy exposure to DEET may lead to memory loss, headache, weakness, fatigue, muscle and joint pain, tremors and shortness of breath. It is also toxic to the liver. The effects of DEET are particularly damaging on children as their skin more readily absorbs chemicals and their still-developing nervous systems are more affected.
Good Riddance Mozzie & Midgie Mousse® is our DEET-free tropical strength natural insect repellent and contains a strong blend of essential oils to repel mosquitoes, midgies and sandflies for around 4 hours.
Jeannie developed the Good Riddance Mozzie & Midgie Mousse in order to protect her family from mosquitoes and sandflies while living in tropical Darwin. She was concerned about the toxic effects of conventional insect repellents so decided to research and develop a safer alternative that worked without the use of DEET. It was developed in conjunction with Top End fishermen, so has been tested in the toughest insect infested conditions.
We have also developed the Baby Good Riddance Mozzie & Midgie Mousse which is safe to use on babies (3 months and over), pregnant women and people with sensitive skin. More information can be found on our blog post.